Answered By: Juliet Marconi Last Updated: Dec 07, 2017 Views: 41
The Search LKC widget was installed on our website in August 2016.
LKC and Clinical Knowledge Network (CKN) use Ebsco Discovery Search (EDS) to search across a number of online resources simultaneously.
How do you use Search LKC?
- Select the resource you want to search - eg click on the appropriate radio button
- Type your search query in the search box
- Click GO button
- You'll be prompted for your OpenAthens login (required for CKN offsite access) - excludes LKC Catalogue
- Enter your CKN OpenAthens details
- Not registered with CKN for offsite access? Go to CKN and register, follow the instructions (link below)
- When searching a phrase, eg "shortness of breath" or "wound management" - use quotation marks for better results
- However, don't use quotation marks for Standards searches - it doesn't work
- If you don't select the resource you want, it will default to a CKN search
- You won't need to login to search LKC Catalogue
Why did we implement EDS to Search LKC?
It enables us to provide internet (offsite) access to some products for Cairns & Hinterland Hospital & Health Services (CHHHS) staff, including CKN resources, that require authentication. These resources require a login because they are licensed products with restrictions as to who can access them.
Previously LKC provided CHHHS staff with instructions on how to either access them via the internal network (eg QH Apps store for Joanna Briggs Institute JBI) or with username & password details (eg Standards Online). Internal network access is still available from work computers. We are just providing an alternative way of access these products.
What is OpenAthens?
It's an authentication software that enables specific eligible staff to access licensed products by creating a secure login.
CKN uses EDS for the Discover CKN search function and OpenAthens for off-site, remote access to online resources. LKC has implemented the same software to enable access to JBI and Standards Online via our website.
That means CHHHS staff already registered with CKN for off-site access could use the same OpenAthens login details.
TCHHS staff access
Torres & Cape Hospital & Health Services staff can still access CKN (via QHEPS or remotely with an OpenAthens login) and LKC Catalogue (no login required) in the normal manner.
JBI and Standards access online is only provided for Cairns & Hinterland HHS staff due to funding and licensing restrictions.
TCHHS staff requiring access to Australian standards should contact LKC for copies.
Other QH staff
Contact your local QH library for further assistance.
Contact Cairns Hospital LKC
To contact Cairns Hospital, Library & Knowledge Centre (Cairns & Hinterland Hospital & Health Service):
- +61 7 4226 6679
Closed weekends and public holidays.